As I go on my gluten-free road, I thought I might share a few recipes I invent as time goes on. Yes, invent. That’s me – the recipe inventress. Whoops, that’s probably not a word but who cares? It’s my blog right? Okay, I just invented a Quinoa Meat Pie. Here’s my recipe. It is similar to a Chicken Pot Pie only healthier.
PREHEAT OVEN TO 350.
- 1 c. quinoa, uncooked
- 1 can tomato sauce with jalapenos
- 3/4 c. orange juice
- water to top off the orange juice and tomato sauce to 2 1/3 cups
- 1 t. allspice
- 1 t. cumin
- 1 t. rosemary
- 2 T. Barbecue sauce (I use Ray’s b/c it’s GF)
- 1/4 c. tapioca flour
- 1 egg
- Cook Quinoa in water, tomato sauce and orange juice. Add spices while cooking.
- After cooking, when most of the liquid is absorbed, pull from stove and tapioca flour and egg.
WHILE QUINOA IS COOKING: Grease a pan (I used a 8×10 glass pan). Flour it with rice flour. Make crust. (Note: Did you know that you measure a pan across the top and not the bottom? I wasn’t sure so I googled it and found Cake Hints. Of course, this was after measuring the pan several times, trying to figure out what to say.)
- Cut butter into flour until it is the size of peas
- Add egg
- Press into bottom of greased and floured pan.
- 1 lb. chicken, cut small
- 1/4 c. chili powder (may use taco seasoning, or any other type of seasoning you want)
- 1/2 c. pineapple juice
- Marinate chicken in juice and seasoning for at least an hour.
- Spoon meat onto crust.
- Spoon Quinoa mixture onto meat as a top
Bake at 350 for 50 minutes.
Serves 6. With 1/4 c. butter (I use Smart Balance Light) it has 378 calories. With 1/3 c. add 16 calories per serving. With other butters subtract 200 calories for the whole [2268-200=2068] and add your butter and divide by 6.