I have a friend who is mostly vegan except for eggs. So, I decided to make dairy free flan. And it is so-o-o good. I was happy to make it again to take a picture and share it with you. So without further ado, here is the recipe.
Preheat oven to 350. Oven rack needs to be roughly in the middle.
- 1/2 c. dark brown sugar
- 1/6 c. water (or 5 1/3 T. water)
- Mix in small saucepan.
- Heat until it begins to caramelize.
- Pour into 8 ramekins and twirl on sides of ramekins, being careful not to spill on hands.
- 1 can (14-15 oz) Thai style coconut milk (can also be Hispanic)
- 3/4 c. soy or coconut milk
- 1/2 c. Xyla
- 2 eggs
- 4 egg yolks
- 2 t. – 2 T vanilla (based upon your tastes)
- Heat the milks together in microwave or just warm to room temperature or a little more in a saucepan. DO NOT MAKE HOT OR EVEN REALLY WARM.
- Mix eggs, vanilla and sugar together with a whisk. Slowly fold in milk mixture.
- Pour into ramekins. I hate to pour potentially messy things so I actually scoop it out with a soup ladle. Less mess for sure.
- Place into baking pan. Fill the baking pan with water until about halfway up the ramekins.
- Bake 30-40 minutes or until solid.
- Cool in refrigerator about 2 hours.
- Take a knife and run it around the edges to release from the ramekin. Let the caramel syrup run down the sides. If the flan does not come out of the ramekins easily place in hot water for a moment and try again.
You can do different things. I personally am not a fan of the caramel syrup so you can cook without syrup and put chocolate chips or pecans or whatever in the bottom. I also am a fairly lazy cook and for the most part I prefer to eat it in the ramekin, so I don’t have a dirty ramekin and a dirty plate or bowl. Go figure.
Calories: as is, 8 servings, 197. If you delete the caramel sauce and add chocolate chips you would have to adjust. For example, the caramel sauce alone (for 8 servings) is 52 calories a serving. So subtract that and allow for whatever you added. Bon appetite!