I have made stuffed mushrooms quite a few times over the last few months and every time they have been a hit. I also do them with slight variations, depending upon the audience. One of my basic ingredients is anchovies (unless my guest is vegan), which I know has readers going “ew!” But I have consistently used them and consistently gotten rave reviews about them. I actually wash the oil off of them and pat them dry, cutting them teeny, so that is has a slight undertone. I have had people ask me if it was crab or shrimp. So without further ado, stuffed mushrooms.
Stuffed Mushrooms (Basic recipe, non-vegan)
Preheat oven to 350.
- 3 large Portabella mushrooms or about 20 small ones
- 1 can anchovies, drained, washed, and cut small
- 2 pieces bacon, fried and crumbled
- 4 pieces thinly sliced prosciutto, cut small
- 4 green onions, diced
- 1` package cream cheese
- Sesame oil (optional0
- Truffle oil (optional)
- Mix all the ingredients together. I use my hands.
- Clean mushrooms and remove stems. Save for another recipe later.
- Rub the top of the cap of each mushroom with sesame oil.
- Spoon mixture into mushrooms.
- Place in baking pan. Put a dot or two of truffle oil on top.
- Bake at 350for 30 minutes.
- Substitute Tofutti Better Than Cream Cheese for regular cream cheese.
- Delete all of the meets.
- Add walnuts and artichoke hearts
- Use another meat, like hot Capocolla or Canadian Bacon
- Add Artichoke Hearts, chopped fine
- Add nuts
- Bake with cheese on top
- Add jalapenos
- Add olives
In other words, the sky is the limit. Have fun in the kitchen!