This is one of those things that is great for you and yummy too! It will help detox your body from heavy metals, which as we know is something we should do. If you’re now asking yourself why you should do a heavy metal detox look at the following list and ask yourself if any apply to you.
- Non-organic foods: Heavy metals are used in pesticides and fertilizers, so they’re sprayed on plants and dumped on the soil the plants use as food.
- The water supply: Industrial and agricultural waste goes right into the water supply when it rains.
- Eating fish: Fish living in polluted environments become polluted (just as we do).
- Mainstream deodorants: Females often apply aluminum after shaving and creating small holes in the skin. Aluminum absorbs either way, but this makes it easier.
- Cigarette smoke: Hundreds of chemicals are in cigarettes – heavy metals too (this includes just being exposed to secondhand smoke)
- Foods cooked in aluminum cookware or aluminum foil
- Over-the-counter drugs, including antacids
- Vaccines: Even if administered in youth
- Your mouth: If you have “silver” fillings
By now, most of us recognize ourselves in this list.
Heavy Metal Detox Pesto
- 3-4 cloves garlic (I like to mince it.)
- 1/3 c. Brazil Nuts or Macadamian nuts [excellent source of selenium]
- 1/3 c. sunflower seeds [cysteine source]
- 1/3 c. pumpkin seeds [zinc and magnesium source]
- 1 c. fresh cilantro (I cut the leaves up with a scissors for ease of mixing) [linoleic acid and cineole]
- 1 c. basil or parsley
- 4. T. fresh squeezed lemon juice [Vitamin C]
- 2/3 c. olive oil
- Big pinch of sea salt
- Soak the nuts and seeds in water over night to release the enzymes.
- Chop the basil and cilantro (I use a scissors).
- Press or mince the garlic.
- Put everything in a blender and blend. Spoon into a canning jar (or more than one). Can freeze if needed.
Information on the Ingredients
- Garlic: Eat garlic to cleanse harmful bacteria, intestinal parasites and viruses from your body, especially from the blood and intestines. It also helps cleanse build-up from the arteries and has anti-cancer and antioxidant properties that help detoxify the body of harmful substances. Additionally, garlic assists with cleansing the respiratory tract by expelling mucous build-up in the lungs and sinuses. For the health benefits, choose only fresh garlic, not garlic powder, which has virtually none of the above properties.
- Brazil Nuts: Flushes heavy metals – Together with glutathione peroxidase, selenium acts by binding with toxic heavy metals such as mercury, lead and cadmium through a process called chelation and flushing them out of the body through urine.
- Sunflower Seeds: Are rich sources of Vitamin E and are therefore an excellent source of the antioxidants your liver needs to detoxify. The antioxidants lessen the damage caused by free radicals
- Pumpkin Seeds: Mashed up and mixed with juice, pumpkin seeds have been found to be effective against parasites.
- Cilantro: Cilantro contains two specific compounds known as cineole and linoleic acid that both possess anti-arthritic and anti-rheumatic properties. Cilantro also contains a substance known as dodecenal that is twice as powerful as the antibiotic drug gentamicin at fighting infection and eradicating harmful microbes from the body. Cilantro is also a natural antiseptic that can help wounds heal more quickly, and is a natural chelator of heavy metals from the body.
- Basil: Researchers suggest that basil contains powerful anti-inflammatory agents, which significantly reduce inflammation and enhance detoxification. Basil also has anti-microbial properties, thanks to its oil content, eugenol, present in its leaves.
- Lemon Juice: Vitamin C is an essential water-soluble vitamin. Vitamin C has many functions in the body including the support of immunity, wound healing, healthy skin and bones, collagen formation and tissue growth and repair. Vitamin C is also a powerful antioxidant which helps detoxify or cleanse the body from harmful substances. A healthy diet can provide all the vitamin C a person needs to be healthy, although supplements may benefit people with a poor diet or certain medical conditions.
- Olive oil: The liver and gallbladder can become congested as a result of poor diet, according to detox advocates. Bile becomes thick and sludgy, forming grease balls in the liver and gallbladder. This sludge becomes toxic and can cause everything from irritability and difficulty sleeping to headaches and food allergies. If these grease balls are not flushed from the body, they can harden and turn into stones, which may require surgery.
- Salt: Salt works to draw toxins out of the body by osmosis. A sea salt detox bath, high in minerals, reinfuses the body with magnesium, calcium and potassium chlorides through the skin. For two baths, mix four cups of sea salt (or use half Epsom salt) and a teaspoon of corn starch or baking soda..