The other day I ran to the store to buy eggs because I wanted to make tapioca. The woman there said she hadn’t made tapioca in years. It’s so easy, I don’t know why more people don’t simply make it more often.
- 1/2 cup small pearl tapioca (you can usually find it in the baking section of the grocery store, do not use instant tapioca)
- 3 cups milk (I used 30 calorie Coconut Milk)
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup of sugar
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla (this will darken the tapioca though, so if you are looking for a light color go with almond extract or another neutral color extract)
- Combine tapioca and milk. Let soak for 20 minutes or so.
- Heat to boiling. Add sugar. Bring to a boil and let boil.
- Beat eggs in separate bowl. Add some of the hot tapioca to make it easy to add without curdling. Add to tapioca in pan.
- Continue to boil until it thickens.
- Let cool 15 minutes and add vanilla.
- Serve hot or cold.