Spaghetti Squash is an awesome veggie. God created spaghetti squash long before the Chinese (yes, the Chinese not the Italians) created spaghetti. Wonder if they were trying to copy spaghetti squash?
So, I like making spaghetti with squash instead of spaghetti. Here is my recipe.
- 1 Spaghetti Squash
- 1 package Neat meat replacement (or your favorite meat replacement)
- 2 eggs
- 1 jar spaghetti sauce (I used a organic jar from whole foods)
- olive oil
- truffle oil
- 1 T. Italian Seasoning
- Parmesan to taste if desired
- Cut the squash in half and scoop out the seeds. Back the squash for about an hour at 400. (I have recently heard that you can cook the spaghetti squash whole. That would make the whole process easier, since cutting the squash can be difficult).
- When the squash is cooked pull out and let sit about 1/2 an hour or until cooled.
- Saute sliced mushrooms in the olive oil.
- Mix the Neat as directed (this will used the 2 eggs).
- Pour Olive Oil in a pan and brown the Neat like hamburger.
- Add 1 T. Italian Seasoning.
- When the Neat is browned like hamburger add the spaghetti sauce and heat until boiling.
- Add the sauted mushrooms to the spaghetti sauce.
- While you have been cooking, use a fork to make the spaghetti out of the spaghetti squash – you just scrape and voila!
- I microwaved the spaghetti squash for a bit to make it hot again and added the sauce mixture. Then I added a little truffle oil and parmesan cheese and mixed well.
Variations: Tonight I am having leftovers and I am going to add a little plain yogurt (or sour cream – I will decide when I get to the store) to mix in with the spaghetti sauce. Use your imagination. If you can do it with spaghetti, you can do it with spaghetti squash.